Notes on Church Hall Meeting
September 12, 2017
Father Shellman Hall, Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem
Finance / Viability
* Financial Concern: We need $12,000 /week but are only getting
$9,500. What will happen in three years?
* Concern that one of the two campuses will have to close
* Transition team needs to come together; the Archdiocese
recommended 2 meetings/month for this group.
* Need two trustees and a new Finance Council - thank those who
have served; acknowledge their service.
* We feel left out of decision-making.
* St. Teresa of Avila put a great deal into its renovation. We've lost
a large number of the elderly who feel it's too far to travel to
* Our financial sustainability is questionable.
* This is an exercise only because the Archdiocese knows what they're
doing already for the future.
* There is a perception that the campus with the larger number of
people should have more influence in decision-making.
* We need to stop the "Us vs. Them" mentality.
* Lack of common liturgical practice
* Communication needs to be as transparent as possible.
* What will happen regarding duplicate or similar ministries /
activities at the two campuses?
* We need to have mutual respect.
* We are one parish - one people - equal just as in a marriage.
* Religious Education registrations are down.
* The Mass as scheduled in Woodbury makes it difficult for altar
servers to continue their ministry.
* Can the middle school be used for Religious Ed?
* Low number of catechists is a concern.
* Hope that this new parish will provide opportunities for more
people to be involved and develop new ministries.
* Growth of individual faith and a belief that we will come together
* Encouraged by the openness that is here.
* We want the parish to come together, to be interested, and involved.
* We hope that those who have left will return.
* Hope that people will not only adjust to this change, but embrace
* Our coming together bodes well for our young people
* Have Father be more receptive to parishioner input including the
celebration of reconciliation 1-2 times per month including at
* Hope for two Masses at each campus
* Become one parish - one Prince of Peace Community working
* Get past our differences and come together - trust in the Holy
* Embrace this opportunity to revitalize and grow together
* We have many talented and intelligent people with skills who can
facilitate this merger
Ralph Rescildo - Deacon
Don Banks - Business Manager
Carol Moriarty - Director of Religious Ed.
Christopher Shay - Director of Music
Sandy Vas - Youth Ministry Coordinator
Mary Armour - Secretary
Parish Council Members - Church of the Nativity
Parish Council Members - St. Teresa of Avila Church
Hugh Langin (Chair)
Mary Ellen Parlato (Secretary)
Francis Donnaruma (Trustee)
Nancy Rahuba (Trustee)
Prince of Peace Parish
Father Jim Gregory
494 Main St. South
Woodbury, CT 06798
(St. Teresa of Avila Office)
Rev. James T. Gregory Pastor
Website information / suggestions