494 Main St. South
Woodbury, CT 06798
(St. Teresa of Avila Office)
Rev. James T. Gregory Pastor
Website information / suggestions
Prince of Peace Parish
Father Jim Gregory
Ralph Rescildo - Deacon
Don Banks - Business Manager
Carol Moriarty - Director of Religious Ed.
Christopher Shay - Director of Music
Sandy Vas - Youth Ministry Coordinator
Mary Armour - Secretary
Parish Council Members - Church of the Nativity
Parish Council Members - St. Teresa of Avila Church
Notes on Church Hall Meeting
September 12, 2017
Father Shellman Hall, Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem
Finance / Viability
* Financial Concern: We need $12,000 /week but are only getting
$9,500. What will happen in three years?
* Concern that one of the two campuses will have to close
* Transition team needs to come together; the Archdiocese
recommended 2 meetings/month for this group.
* Need two trustees and a new Finance Council - thank those who
have served; acknowledge their service.
* We feel left out of decision-making.
* St. Teresa of Avila put a great deal into its renovation. We've lost
a large number of the elderly who feel it's too far to travel to
* Our financial sustainability is questionable.
* This is an exercise only because the Archdiocese knows what they're
doing already for the future.
* There is a perception that the campus with the larger number of
people should have more influence in decision-making.
* We need to stop the "Us vs. Them" mentality.
* Lack of common liturgical practice
* Communication needs to be as transparent as possible.
* What will happen regarding duplicate or similar ministries /
activities at the two campuses?
* We need to have mutual respect.
* We are one parish - one people - equal just as in a marriage.
* Religious Education registrations are down.
* The Mass as scheduled in Woodbury makes it difficult for altar
servers to continue their ministry.
* Can the middle school be used for Religious Ed?
* Low number of catechists is a concern.
* Hope that this new parish will provide opportunities for more
people to be involved and develop new ministries.
* Growth of individual faith and a belief that we will come together
* Encouraged by the openness that is here.
* We want the parish to come together, to be interested, and involved.
* We hope that those who have left will return.
* Hope that people will not only adjust to this change, but embrace
* Our coming together bodes well for our young people
* Have Father be more receptive to parishioner input including the
celebration of reconciliation 1-2 times per month including at
* Hope for two Masses at each campus
* Become one parish - one Prince of Peace Community working
* Get past our differences and come together - trust in the Holy
* Embrace this opportunity to revitalize and grow together
* We have many talented and intelligent people with skills who can
facilitate this merger